Looking at his age and BJP age limit of being a party active member, he will be PM in next LS elections but not after that. He is currently 66 yrs (born in 1950).
There are many worthy successors in various parties who are overshadowed by old & grumpy politicians who think that just by graduating in political science is enough to become Dr. Ambedkar but are still at the mercy of civil servants and secretaries.
Looking at the current scenario and political developments, these are the most viable options:
- Jyotiraditya Scindia: got both patronage & political background of a well established political family, holds educated and sensible mind, currently Rahul’s sidekick but can emerge as a leader if given chance.
- Smriti Irani: She may have lost her LS elections thrice but she has grown in stature after becoming cabibet minister and might be a worthy successor by playing women card, currently a cabinet minister and MP of Rajya sabha
- Sambit Patra: If you go by Google trends and TV TRPs, he may be our next cabinet minister in 2019 LS elections and possibly PM in 2024 LS elections.
- Sachin Pilot: he is known for cool mind & Attitude and just like jyotiraditya, got everything you need to be a top politician, currently an MP
- Akhilesh Yadav: hard working CM, got patronage of Mulayam Singh and good working history.Out of all the most tested candidate.
- Nitish Kumar: known for unbiased attitude and true politician, although he got separated from BJP when they decided to name Modi as PM candidate, so possible PM after him
- Shashi Tharoor: already tested as foreign minister and secretary and known for an intelligent and witty mind.
I wanted to include Rahul Gandhi, Priyanka Gandhi, Tejaswi Yadav, Anurag Thakur, Arvind Kejriwal, Kanhaiya Kumar and some other old politicians but looking at the changing minds and perceptions of modern Indian, they will opt for more balanced personality and politician.(Although It’s Politics, anything can happen)
If you think any other politician have a chance, please comment below.
P.S. after looking at Modi’s work culture and popularity, I think BJP will surely make an exception and he might be our PM in not only 2024 LS elections but also 2029 LS elections (depending upon if BJP win in a majority) and maybe even after that too.
JAI HIND !!!